Part of our local offer

Getting ready for adulthood

Getting ready for adulthood

Moving from school into adulthood is a big change for everyone, with lots of things to think about. This section offers information, help and advice on some of the important issues you will face.

For money and benefit advice please see this page: Money, Benefits and SEND | Newcastle Support Directory.

Our aim in Newcastle is to help young people achieve the best possible outcomes in:-

  • Getting into employment and Higher Education
  • Living as independently as possible
  • Staying healthy
  • Having friends and being involved in your community

You will find other parts of the Local Offer useful when planning your future e.g. the sections on Education and Employment and Health.

If you have an Education, Health and Care Plan, Preparing for Adulthood should be discussed at every annual review from at least year 9 and should consider the four main areas listed above. In addition there may be other issues that could be considered, such as travelling independently and financial support.

It is important to remember that there are organisations who can offer you help and support when considering these important steps in your life. These organisations are also listed in this section.

Children legally become adults at 18, regardless of their needs. It's a time of enormous change and we aim to help everyone plan for, support and recognise a young person's adult status.

When your child is in year 9 we'll start working with you and your child to plan their move towards adulthood. This is called a transition plan. Here are a few things to consider when planning for adulthood.

In the Local Offer, we want to show you organisations and services who can give you or your young person options for the future.

Life Skills

Please click here:

Travelling independently

Independent travel for young people with SEND

National travel and mobility

Relationships & community

Friendships, social life, personal safety, sexual health and sexuality - all these are key issues for you and your young person and you'll need to discuss them, here are some services that can help: Health and life.


Housing in Newcastle

You can find information on housing advice and homelessness, council and other affordable housing, private rented, housing development, and housing plans, policy and performance on the Newcastle City Council website.

Renting Private Property

Renting a home from a private landlord is another alternative to renting from the council, another social landlord (or housing association) or buying your own home.

You can find out some general information and advice about renting privately on Shelter's web pages. Here you can find out about rental agreements, renting from a landlord or a lettings agency, rental deposits and private tenants' (and landlords') rights. There are also hints and tips on looking for and viewing properties to rent.

Newcastle's Private Rented Service

Newcastle's Private Rented Service can help with:

  • Local advertising of properties both online and in their office. All properties advertised through the scheme have been inspected by one of our Officers and meet basic safety standards and all landlords who use our Tenant Finder Service have signed a code of conduct.
  • Help with tenancy agreements and sign-up. They provide a comprehensive sign-up service where they assist tenants in understanding their tenancy agreement, and their rights and obligations as a tenant. They can also assist with utilities change over and other useful advice and support.
  • Advice on benefits and grants. They can advise and assist in applications for housing benefit or discretionary housing payment as well potential grant availability.
  • Advice on your rights as a tenant. They advise and assist with many issues that can arise in the course of renting a property such as repairs, rent arrears, harassment from a neighbour or your private landlord, energy efficiency issues and leaving your tenancy.

Housing Associations/social landlords

Social housing is available to rent or on shared ownership schemes from local housing associations.

Support for people aged 16-25 to find appropriate accommodation

Living independently

Young people who are able to live independently can use Tyne and Wear Homes to apply for social housing including council and housing association homes as well as private rented and low cost home ownership throughout Newcastle, Gateshead, North and South Tyneside. The type of housing on offer includes general needs housing and specialised housing for people with disabilities or other particular needs.

You can register with Tyne and Wear Homes or contact your local housing office or the Property Shop on 0191 278 8600 to have an application form sent to you by post.

Support in your own tenancy

There is support available to people who need help to maintain their independent tenancy, which can be accessed via Newcastle Gateway. You will need a support worker from a partner agency to make a Gateway referral for you. Partner agencies that can complete referrals include:

  • Adults, Children’s and Specialist Social Services
  • Housing Advice Centre
  • Mental Health Services (including NTW employees)
  • Probation and Youth Offending Team
  • Newcastle-based housing and support providers

Young people living in Your Homes Newcastle (YHN) accommodation may also be entitled to support from YHN’s Advice and Support Team, whose aim is to prevent homelessness and help people sustain their tenancies. They can provide assistance to people who need benefits advice, debt counselling, help moving into your new home or have rent arrears problems. There are also specialist workers for clients aged 16-25.

Supported accommodation

Supported housing for people with learning disabilities and autism | Newcastle City Council. Supported accommodation for people who are not able to live independently is available via the Newcastle Gateway. You will need a support worker from a partner agency to make a Gateway referral for you (see above for list). If you have a social worker there may be other supported housing options available, depending on the extent of your needs.

Find out about supported housing and personal care workers and assistants: Support for people aged 16-25 finding appropriate accommodation.

Housing advice

If you need housing advice, are at risk of homelessness or are homeless please contact the Housing Advice Centre (HAC) on 0191 277 1711, or email The telephone service is available Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 12 noon and 1 - 4.30pm.

You can also visit the centre on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 10am to 12 noon and 1 - 4pm, and Wednesday 1 - 4pm:

Housing Advice Centre
112 - 114 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

Staff at HAC will assess your situation and give you free confidential advice with the aim of helping you to keep your home or assisting you to find one which meets your needs. HAC can help if you are:

  • Struggling with rent or mortgage payments
  • Served with a notice or your tenancy is coming to an end
  • Struggling to stay in your home and need help or support to do so
  • Homeless in a crisis
  • In debt
  • Unsure about your benefits

HAC may provide emergency accommodation to you if you are homeless, but this is a limited service and only available to those in priority need. HAC can't immediately assist everyone who has a housing problem, so try to prevent people from becoming homeless in the first place. If this is not possible, they will try to find a solution and options to make sure that you have a safe place to stay.

For additional general advice on housing and homelessness issues you can also visit the Shelter website or call their free telephone helpline on 0808 800 4444.