AKT’s Mission is to ensure that all lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans young people are able to live in accepting, supportive and caring homes, by providing a range of services to meet the individual needs of those who would otherwise be homeless or living in a hostile environment.
We aim to do this by:
- Providing appropriate homes through supported lodgings, fostering and other specialist housing schemes.
- Enabling young people to manage independent living successfully.
- Improving attitudes within society towards lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans young people
How can we help?
If you are homeless, in crisis or at risk where you live, we will meet with you as soon as we can to talk through your difficulties.
- We can help with staying safe in a crisis
- We can help with finding emergency accommodation
- We can help with finding hostel accommodation
- We can help with finding a place to live in the rented sector
- We can help with finding a place in social housing
- We can help with finding you supported lodgings from one of our LGBT positive carers
- We can help with finding you support from a mentor
- We can help with finding you specialist support from domestic violence or mental health services
- We can help with training, learning and making progress towards your goals
What we can do to help will depend on your circumstances, but these are the types of work we do.
Choosing to volunteer with us means you're joining a diverse and committed team, that makes a real difference to the lives of LGBT young people in London, Manchester & Newcastle. We have a range of opportunities available; from roles directly supporting our young people through to awareness raising and fundraising.
AKT are committed to offering quality volunteering experiences that enable you to use your existing skills, but also develop new ones too. We constantly strive to meet your needs and work closely with all volunteers on our future direction as an organisation.
Volunteers have always been at the heart of The Albert Kennedy Trust and will always play a vital role in delivering services and supporting our work in ending LGBT youth homelessness.
Please see our website for more information.