Skip to main content

SEN Assessment, Provision and Review

SEN (Special Educational Needs) Assessment Provision and Review Team is responsible for managing the process of Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans and statements.

At some point during their education, many children will have some kind of special educational need. Help is usually provided in the child or young person's mainstream early education setting or school and sometimes with the help of external specialists.

Help may be needed with:

  • schoolwork
  • reading, writing, number work or understanding information
  • expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
  • making friends or relating to adults
  • behaving properly in school
  • organising themselves
  • some kind of sensory or physical needs which may affect them in school.

How can I get help for my child?

First, go to your child's class teacher, the school's SENCO or the Headteacher.  SENCO stands for Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator. The SENCO is the person in school or preschool who is responsible for co-ordinating help for children with SEN. 

You can ask your school:

  • If they think your child is having difficulties and/or has SEN
  • If your child is able to work at the same level as children of the same age
  • If your child is already getting extra help
  • If you can help your child.

If the school agrees your child has SEN, they will take a step-by-step approach to meet their individual needs.  When planning lessons, your child's teacher will take SEN into account by looking carefully at how they organise lessons, the classroom, books and materials. The teacher selects suitable ways to help your child learn using a range of activities.

Your school will decide when they need to contact our team, Special Educational Needs Assessment, Provision and Review.

If you would like support in dealing with special educational needs or disabilities and the assessment process, you can contact Newcastle SENDIASS Team (Special Educational Needs or Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Service).

Who to contact

Contact Name
SEN Assessment, Provision and Review Team
0191 277 4650

Where to go

Special Educational Needs Assessment, Provision and Review
Library Block - Westgate Community College
West Road
Newcastle Upon Tyne

Other Details

Last updated: 27/02/2018
Back to top