Who are SENTASS?
We are a team of local authority specialist teachers and support staff who work in partnership with mainstream schools and parent/carers to advise and support provision for children and young people with needs in the following areas:
- Cognition and Learning (Specific Learning Difficulties, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Motor Coordination Difficulties)
- Communication and Interaction (Speech, Language and Communication Needs including Autism)
What do we do?
- Complete assessments and observational work in relation to individual children and young people,
- Liaise with staff in school and with parent/carers to plan support and provision,
- Actively respond to the views of children and young people when advising on future ways forward,
- Provide written advice following assessment work,
- Attend SEN Review meetings for individual children and young people,
- Contribute to Education Heath and Care Assessments/Plans,
- Deliver training to mainstream teaching and support staff and to parent/carers,
- Work in partnership with other professionals, support services and agencies (for example Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists and Educational Psychologists),
- Support with transition work when children and young people move to a new school.
SENTASS Developmental Language Disorder Team provides a multidisciplinary assessment for children and young people with significant Speech Language and Communication Needs followed by intensive targeted intervention work.
How is this support accessed?
For Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia), Speech and Language Needs and Motor Coordination Difficulties, requests are made through the traded SENTASS Service Level Agreements.
For more general Cognition and Learning and Communication and Interaction Needs requests are made through the Tier 2: Single Point of Contact Panel (SPoC).
The DLD Team accepts referrals from schools following a recommendation made by the SENTASS specialist teacher for Speech and Language or by NHS Speech and Language Therapy.
How can you contact SENTASS?
SENTASS, Library Block, Westgate Community College, Newcastle upon Tyne NE5 9LU
Tel 0191 277 4608