Skip to main content

2, 3 and 4 year old funding

This page is for childcare providers based in Newcastle upon Tyne

What is 2, 3 and 4 year old funding?

All 3 to 4-year-olds in England can get 570 hours of free early education or childcare per year. It’s usually taken as 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year.

Some 2-year-olds are also eligible.

Who can access it?

  • Childcare providers registered with Ofsted
  • Childcare providers who have signed a funding agreement with Newcastle City Council

Newcastle reserves the right to remove funding if childcare Ofsted Inspection rating becomes Inadequate.

How much do you receive?

2 year old funding - £5.20 per hour and will be paid on the basis of participation

3 & 4 year old funding - £4.25 per hour

How to access it?

If you are a Newcastle childcare provider to start accessing 2, 3 and 4 year old funding please phone 0191 277 4669 and the team will explain the process of becoming registered for the funding.

How is it to be used?

The funding is to be used to allow the parent to access upto 15 hours of childcare free at the point of delivery. This means that if you are offering 15 hours of childcare no additional costs are incured by the parent for these 15 hours.

What is the criteria?

Eligibility for 3 & 4 year olds

3 & 4 year old children are universally eligble for the funding. It stops once the child starts reception class in a state school.

Eligibility for 2-year-olds

Your 2-year-old can get free early education and childcare if you get one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit
  • tax credits and you have an annual income of under £16,190 before tax
  • the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
  • the Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)

A child can also get free early education and childcare if any of the following apply:

  • they’re looked after by a local council
  • they have a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • they get Disability Living Allowance
  • they’ve left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order

When can children access the funding?

The date the child can start claiming depends on their birthday.

Child’s birthday When child can claim
1 January to 31 March The beginning of term on or after 1 April
1 April to 31 August The beginning of term on or after 1 September
1 September to 31 December The beginning of term on or after 1 January

If a child was born on 15 February 2013. You can get free childcare when the next term starts after 1 April 2016.

Who to contact

0191 277 4669
Last updated: 02/05/2017
Back to top