Part of our local offer

Support finding the right home

Support finding the right home

If you or someone you care for is aged between 16-25 there is information to help you find a home below.

Living independently

Young people who are able to live independently can use Tyne and Wear Homes to apply for social housing including council and housing association homes as well as private rented and low cost home ownership throughout Newcastle, Gateshead, North and South Tyneside. The type of housing on offer includes general needs housing and specialised housing for people with disabilities or other particular needs.

You can register with Tyne and Wear Homes by visiting or call your local housing office or the Property Shop on 0191 278 8600 to have an application form sent to you by post.

Support in your own tenancy

There is support available to people who need help to maintain their independent tenancy, which can be accessed via Newcastle Gateway. You will need a support worker from a partner agency to make a Gateway referral for you. Partner agencies that can complete referrals include:

  • Adults, Children’s and Specialist Social Services
  • Housing Advice Centre
  • Mental Health Services (including NTW employees)
  • Probation and Youth Offending Team
  • Newcastle-based housing and support providers

Young people living in Your Homes Newcastle (YHN) accommodation may also be entitled to support from YHN’s Advice and Support Team, whose aim is to prevent homelessness and help people sustain their tenancies. They can provide assistance to people who need benefits advice, debt counselling, help moving into your new home or have rent arrears problems. There are also specialist workers for clients aged 16-25.

Supported accommodation

Supported accommodation for people who are not able to live independently is available via the Newcastle Gateway. You will need a support worker from a partner agency to make a Gateway referral for you (see above for list). If you have a social worker there may be other supported housing options available, depending on the extent of your needs. Please see this page about Housing with Support options.

Housing advice

If you need housing advice, are at risk of homelessness or are homeless please contact the Housing Advice Centre (HAC) on 0191 277 1711, or email The telephone service is available Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 12 noon and 1 - 4.30pm.

You can also visit the centre on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 10am to 12 noon and 1 - 4pm, and Wednesday 1 - 4pm

Housing Advice Centre
112 - 114 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne

Staff at HAC will assess your situation and give you free confidential advice with the aim of helping you to keep your home or assisting you to find one which meets your needs. HAC can help if you are:

  • Struggling with rent or mortgage payments
  • Served with a notice or your tenancy is coming to an end
  • Struggling to stay in your home and need help or support to do so
  • Homeless in a crisis
  • In debt
  • Unsure about your benefits

HAC may provide emergency accommodation to you if you are homeless, but this is a limited service and only available to those in priority need. HAC can't immediately assist everyone who has a housing problem, so try to prevent people from becoming homeless in the first place. If this is not possible, they will try to find a solution and options to make sure that you have a safe place to stay.

For additional general advice on housing and homelessness issues you can also visit the Shelter website or call their free telephone helpline on 0808 800 4444.