The Physical Disabilities Additionally Resourced Centre at Benfield School is a specialised provision for Newcastle learners aged (11-19) in school Years (7-18). The provision is for learners who have a physical disability including a multi-sensory Impairment, Hearing/ Visual Impairment or medical needs and would benefit of additional support to access mainstream education in school.
The provision offers full-time mainstream education and additional access to:
Benfield School has an Additionally Resourced Centre (ARC) for young people with a physical or medical disability.
- We use ICT to increase access to the curriculum.
- We provide support and aids to ensure access to the curriculum and develop independent learning.
- We seek and act on advice and guidance for pupils who have significant medical needs.
- We provide access to medical interventions.
- We seek advice and guidance from the Health Service to ensure barriers to success are reduced or removed.
- We have a designated medical assistant who regularly checks medical records and ensures staff understand and apply the medicine administration policy.
- Our department includes designated first aid trained staff.
- We support Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Hydrotherapy and Re-bound therapy programmes.
- We deliver 1:1 targeted intervention programmes to pupils to improve skills e.g. motor skills
- We provide support with personal and intimate care if and when needed.
- All entrances to our school have ramps fitted to allow wheelchair access.
- A centrally located lift ensures access to all areas of the building.
- Our school has a disabled toilet suite with shower and hoists, physiotherapy room, medical room, disabled access to the swimming pool and sports facilities.
- We offer inclusive sports and TAZ, (The Active Zone), our after-school sports club.
- We use small-group targeted intervention programmes to improve skills in a variety of areas including independent living skills and independent travel training.
- Our staff receive training to ensure they understand the impact of a physical or sensory need on teaching and learning.
- Our school works hard to ensure that parents/carers are able to work in partnership with us to support their children.
- We offer support to families and we signpost them to services/organisations which offer support/advice where appropriate, via the Local Offer.
- We use Primary to Secondary and Post-16 transition support to ensure pupils make a smooth transfer between phases and prepare successfully for adulthood.